Pension tax relief

Q: Can you give me your opinion on the non-disclosure in my tax return of a self-invested pension plan (SIPP) payment to HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC)? Every March I make substantial payments into my SIPP and in past years, these have been declared in my tax return. This year, with the new rules, which involve accruals and multipliers, I 'guesstimated' that a £5,000 SIPP contribution may still attract higher-rate tax relief, so I made that investment. I am aware that, in the fullness of time, HMRC may not allow any or all of it and I may have to repay some tax relief. My accountant omitted the payment from my tax return, insisting that if he did include it, HMRC would automatically give me higher-rate tax relief on it and I may not be entitled to it. I feel vulnerable not disclosing the £5,000 contribution. What do you think?


Already subscribed? Log in here

Please enter your details

Forgotten Password?

Forgotten password?

Having trouble signing in?

Contact our online support team at

[DAYS_LEFT] days left of your Medeconomics free trial

Subscribe now

Your free trial has expired

Subscribe now to access Medeconomics

"I did not have to think twice about subscribing to Medeconomics... I find this website the only place I can find an up to date and accurate database of fees"

Pratice Manager, Canterbury