Capital gains tax

Q: We are husband and wife GP partners and bought a four-storey house in 1992. The basement and ground floor form our NHS surgery and the top two floors are our main residence. When the time comes to retire we would like to convert the whole house back into a single dwelling (subject to getting the necessary planning permission). The question is how long would we need to live in the house as our main residence before we resell it in order not to have to pay capital gains on the surgery part of the property?


Already subscribed? Log in here

Please enter your details

Forgotten Password?

Forgotten password?

Having trouble signing in?

Contact our online support team at

[DAYS_LEFT] days left of your Medeconomics free trial

Subscribe now

Your free trial has expired

Subscribe now to access Medeconomics

"I did not have to think twice about subscribing to Medeconomics... I find this website the only place I can find an up to date and accurate database of fees"

Pratice Manager, Canterbury