To provide care to patients who are registered with a GP practice away from home and who require urgent care and cannot reasonably be expected to attend their registered practice.
The ES covers patients living in the appointed practice’s boundary area and includes access to essential primary medical care services and home visits where clinically required between 8.30-6.30pm Monday to Friday.
From 5 January 2015 to 31 March 2016
£15.87 per consultation by GP or other healthcare professional (including telephone/Skype consultations). £60 per home visit.
- NHS England area teams have to set up urgent care arrangements for 'out-of-area patients' who live in their area from 5 January 2015. This may or may not involve offering this enhanced service to practices in their area.
- Where GP practices do not wish to participate in this enhanced service, area teams may offer the service to neighbouring practices. In such cases, the national pricing does not apply and will be agreed locally
- Click here for more details on how out-of-area registration will work.
- Practices must ensure that information about access to their services for patients registered with out of area practices are provided to NHS 111 so patients can be directed to them when required.
- The practice must have a robust system in place to securely transfer information about any care given to the patients’ registered practice within 24 hours of a consultation.
- The practice must complete a claim form and submit this to the area team quarterly. A standard template will be provided for returns.
- Only practices maintaining an open list are eligible to provide this enhanced service.