[DAYS_LEFT] days left of your Medeconomics free trial

Subscribe now

Your free trial has expired

Subscribe now to access Medeconomics

Private pensions

I contributed £85,000 in 2006/7, £95,000 in 2007/8 and £85,000 in 2008/9 to my self-invested personal pension in intermittent tranches. My profit share for the current year tax year will be below £150,000. Can I contribute a similar sum this year and claim 40 per cent tax relief?

From 22 April 2009, GPs with income of £150,000 or more in either 2009/10 or the two previous tax years will be subject to a 'special annual allowance tax charge' if they change their normal regular pension contributions and total contributions exceed £20,000 a year.

The charge will restrict tax relief on the additional pension contributions made on or after 22 April 2009 to the basic rate.

However, normal regular pension contributions made under agreements prior to 22 April 2009 will not be affected. Additional contributions include those paid by the individual, their employer or a third party.

In this context, income includes not just trading profits and salaries but also dividend payments, savings interest, rent, pension income and trust income.

GPs whose profits and/or salaried earnings are less than £150,000, but with other sources of income, may be affected.

Do you have a financial question? Ask our experts

Have you registered with us yet?

Register now to enjoy more articles
and free email bulletins.

Sign up now
Already registered?
Sign in

Would you like to post a comment?

Please Sign in or register.

Database of GP Fees

Latest Jobs